The Bottom Line
- Shows great respect for the real men and women rescue swimmers
- Intense water sequences put you right there with the Coast Guard personnel
- Kevin Costner's terrific as the veteran rescuer training the young upstarts
- A commentary by one or more of the actors would have really made this one special
- Four deleted scenes with optional commentary
- 'The Guardian: Making Waves' - Behind the scenes look at the story and the cast
- 'Unsung Heroes: So Others May Live' - A look at real rescues by Coast Guard heroes
- Alternate Ending (never shown to even preview audiences)
- Commentary by director Andrew Davis and writer Ron L Brinkerhoff
- DVD Release Date: January 23, 2007
Guide Review - "The Guardian" DVD Review
One recruit in particular catches Randall's eye. Champion swimmer Jake Fischer (Ashton Kutcher) is tough and cocky, and Randall sees something special in the kid - even though it will take all of his patience to not kick the trainee out of the program for being a pain in the butt.
Mixing training scenes, rescues, and romance - The Guardian takes viewers inside the world of the men and women whose motto is "So Others May Live!"