The Bottom Line
- Just as entertaining as the first 'Hellboy' movie
- Ron Perlman's once again perfect as the big red cigar-chomping dude
- One of the best collections of bonus features ever put together on a DVD
- Includes a digital copy of the film
- None worth noting
- Starring Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Doug Jones, and Jeffrey Tambor
- Directed by Guillermo del Toro
- Rated PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi action and violence, and some language
- DVD Release Date: November 11, 2008
Guide Review - 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army' DVD Review
The StoryThere's trouble on the domestic front and from the underworld in Hellboy II. Hellboy and the love of his life, Liz, are experiencing a rough patch in their relationship, but that's not the worst problem Hellboy and the Bureau for Paranormal Research have to deal with. An ancient truce has been broken and the evil Prince Nuada (Luke Goss) wants to unleash an unstoppable golden army to help him take over the world. It's up to the BPRD to stop the army from rising.
The Bonus FeaturesMaybe it's just me but I can listen to Guillermo del Toro talk about movies for hours. del Toro is so passionate about movies and filmmaking that his enthusiasm is addictive. And in the bonus features of the Hellboy II DVD, del Toro is free to explain and share behind the secrets to his heart's content. Everything you ever wanted to know about the making of Hellboy II: The Golden Army is packed onto the 3-Disc Special Edition DVD.
Highlights from the extra material include the commentary track with del Toro, 7 mini documentaries exploring the Hellboy II set, and a featurette with del Toro playing tour guide at the Troll Market. There's also an in-depth look at the making of the movie in Hellboy: In Service of the Demon and an incredible piece on the puppets from the opening sequence. For those who haven't had their del Toro fill, check out Director's Notebook for a peek into del Toro's imagination.