The Bottom Line
You don't have to be a Russell Crowe fan to enjoy the film. In fact, you'll actually forget it's Crowe on the screen. That's how realistic a job "Cinderella Man" does in bringing the story of James J Braddock to life.
- One of the best films of 2005
- Terrific performances by Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger
- Great collection of bonus features
- None worth noting
- Commentary by director Ron Howard and writers Akiva Goldsman and Cliff Hollingsworth
- Deleted scenes
- 'The Fight Card' - Casting the film and interviews with the stars of "Cinderella Man"
- 'The Man, The Movie, The Legend' - Up-close look at Russell Crowe's transformation into Jim Braddock
- 'For the Record: A History of Boxing' - Legendary trainer Angelo Dundee works with Russell Crowe
- 'Ringside Seats' - An in-depth analysis of the real Braddock/Baer boxing match
- 'Jim Braddock: The Friends & Family Behind the Legend' - Jim Braddock's family share their memories
- DVD RELEASE DATE: December 6, 2005
Guide Review - "Cinderella Man" DVD Review
DVD Bonus Features
20 minutes of deleted scenes and well put together behind-the-scenes featurettes make up the extra features included on the "Cinderella Man" DVD. My personal favorite bonus feature is "The Fight Card," one of the best behind-the-scenes casting featurettes around. "Fight Card" follows Crowe's work to get the film made, including how he pursued his "A Beautiful Mind" director Ron Howard to helm the project. It also focuses on how the movie's cast came together and why each central player was so attracted to Braddock's story.
The additional featurettes are above average and provide viewers with background on the movie and on the real man whose story is told in the film.
Special Edition "Cinderella Man"
"Cinderella Man" is also being released as part of a special two-disc boxed set. The special edition box set includes an additional 2+ hours of bonus material. If you're willing to fork over a little more cash, you'll find the "Cinderella Man" extras included are definitely worth the extra money.