The Bottom Line
- Marton Csokas and Natasha Richardson have real chemistry onscreen
- Great performances by the entire cast
- A story we haven't seen a million times before
- No bonus features
- No bonus features other than previews of coming attractions
- Dolby Digital - English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround
- DVD Release Date: January 17, 2006
Guide Review - "Asylum" DVD Review
Stella's husband Max's (Hugh Bonneville) affection for his wife is sporadic and for the most part goes unexpressed. Seeking a distraction from her dreary and repetitive life, Stella develops an attraction for a smolderingly handsome inmate, Edgar Stark (Marton Csokas).
Edgar was committed to the asylum for brutally butchering his wife and is under the care of Dr Peter Cleave (Ian McKellen). Dr Cleave has worked at the maximum-security psychiatric hospital for decades and was passed over for promotion when Stella's husband was hired to take charge of the facility. Needless to say, he's not a supporter of either Stella or her husband. As Stella and Edgar's illicit relationship grows, Dr Cleave works like a puppetmaster, manipulating the two into taking drastic measures.
The adult drama earned an R rating for strong sexuality, some violence and brief language, and definitely deserves the R for strong sexuality.