The Bottom Line
- Charlize Theron looks great and is a credible action star
- The set design and action choreography are first rate
- The story plays second fiddle to the action sequences
- 'Creating a World' - Adapting the show for the feature film
- 'The Stunts of Aeon Flux' - Charlize Theron discusses the physical challenges of playing Aeon Flux
- 'The Costume Design' - The inspiration for the design and colors of the costumes in Aeon Flux
- 'The Craft of the Set' - Photographer Jason Boland explains his work on the set
- Commentary by Charlize Theron and producer Gale Anne Hurd
- Commentary by screenwriters Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi
- DVD Release Date: April 25, 2006
Guide Review - Aeon Flux DVD Review
Set in the distant future when a disease has wiped out most of the Earth's population, Aeon Flux is the story of a group of rebels who want to overthrow the government in charge of the last city on the planet. No longer willing to put up with the sterile society and the rules imposed on the populace by the city's leaders, the rebels are determined to change things up by any means necessary.
The leader of the rebels gives Aeon Flux orders to take out the head of the government, Trevor Goodchild (Marton Csokas). But things get dicey when Aeon starts picturing scenes in her head in which she and Trevor are lovers. Before following orders, Aeon decides to uncover the source of her bizarre 'memories'.
Charlize Theron looks stunning in Aeon Flux and shows she can not only handle dramatic roles but has the athletic ability to tackle action roles. But as beautiful as Theron is to look at and as highly stylized as the action sequences are, the film has an unsatisfying detached feel to it.
As for the DVD's bonus features, the four behind-the-scenes featurettes are decent but not extraordinary. The disc also comes with two commentary tracks with the one featuring producer Gale Anne Hurd and Theron best be described as very dry. Unless you're obsessed with commentary tracks, there's no need to devote a couple of hours checking it out.