Based on the National Book Award winning novel by Charles Frazier, "Cold Mountain" follows the intertwined paths of three people equally uprooted by war whose physical and spiritual survival comes to depend entirely on one another.
"Cold Mountain (Music From The Miramax Motion Picture)" is produced by T Bone Burnett, whose work on the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack album brought home multiple Grammys in 2001, including "Album of the Year."
Drawing both sound and inspiration from the 19th century American blues, gospel, folk, and country music that serves as a sonic backdrop for the film, the "Cold Mountain" soundtrack showcases five new performances from Jack White of the White Stripes (who makes his feature film debut in "Cold Mountain") singing traditional and blues covers ("Wayfaring Stranger," "Sittin' On Top of the World," "Christmas Time Will Soon Be Over," "Great High Mountain") as well as a new self-penned composition, "Never Far Away."
T Bone Burnett has co-authored two of "Cold Mountain's" key tracks: "Like A Songbird That Has Fallen," cowritten with longtime collaborator Bobby Neuwirth and performed by Reeltime Travelers, and "The Scarlet Tide," cowritten with Elvis Costello and performed by Alison Krauss. Krauss also sings the Gaelic-flavored, "You Will Be My Ain True Love," a new song written and composed for "Cold Mountain" by Sting (who contributes background vocals to the track). Burnett and Anthony Minghella, the film's director, worked together on many of the arrangements of the traditional songs on the soundtrack.
"Cold Mountain (Music From The Miramax Motion Picture)" Track Listing:
1) WAYFARING STRANGER - PERFORMED BY JACK WHITE (Traditional)
2) LIKE A SONGBIRD THAT HAS FALLEN - PERFORMED BY REELTIME TRAVELERS (Written by Bobby Neuwirth and Henry Burnett), (Reel Time Travelers are: Thomas Sneed, Martha Scanlan, Brandon Story, Heidi Andrade & Roy Andrade)
3) I WISH MY BABY WAS BORN - PERFORMED BY TIM ERIKSEN, RILEY BAUGUS & TIM O'BRIEN (Traditional) Arranged by Anthony Minghella and Henry Burnett. Additional Lyrics by Anthony Minghella.
4) THE SCARLET TIDE - PERFORMED BY ALISON KRAUSS (Written by Elvis Costello and Henry Burnett)
5) THE CUCKOO - PERFORMED BY TIM ERIKSEN & RILEY BAUGUS (Traditional)
6) SITTIN' ON TOP OF THE WORLD - PERFORMED BY JACK WHITE (Written by Walter Jacobs and Lonnie Carter)
7) AM I BORN TO DIE? - PERFORMED BY TIM ERIKSEN (Traditional)
8) YOU WILL BE MY AIN TRUE LOVE - RECORDED BY ALISON KRAUSS (Written and Composed by Sting)
9) I'M GOING HOME - PERFORMED BY SACRED HARP SINGERS AT LIBERTY CHURCH (Writers - Traditional) Arranged by Tim Eriksen
10) NEVER FAR AWAY - PERFORMED BY JACK WHITE (Written by Jack White)
11) CHRISTMAS TIME WILL SOON BE OVER - PERFORMED BY JACK WHITE (Writers - Traditional)
12) RUBY WITH THE EYES THAT SPARKLE - PERFORMED BY STUART DUNCAN AND DIRK POWELL (Traditional) Arranged by Dirk Powell
13) LADY MARGRET - PERFORMED BY CASSIE FRANKLIN (Writers - Traditional) Arranged by Anthony Minghella Henry Burnett and Tim Eriksen
14) GREAT HIGH MOUNTAIN - PERFORMED BY JACK WHITE (Traditional) Arranged by Ralph Stanley
15) ANTHEM - GABRIEL YARED
16) ADA PLAYS - GABRIEL YARED
17) ADA AND INMAN - GABRIEL YARED
18) LOVE THEME - GABRIEL YARED
19) IDUMEA - PERFORMED BY SACRED HARP SINGERS AT LIBERTY CHURCH (Writers - Charles Wesley 1707 Amzi Chapin 1812 Traditional) Arranged by Tim Eriksen
Produced By T BONE BURNETT, Executive Soundtrack Producer: Anthony Minghella
Interested in purchasing the soundtrack? Compare prices here.