As expected, The Expendables 2 easily held off all newcomers, none of which managed to make it over the $10 million mark over their opening weekend. Hit & Run ran out of steam following its debut on Wednesday the 22nd and The Apparition couldn't scare up an audience (and opened outside of the top 10), even with Ashley Greene from Twilight as one of the leads. Premium Rush, the biggest release of the weekend, found people rushing to see The Expendables 2 and pretty much avoiding the bike messenger action thriller.
It was a disappointing weekend to say the least (the lowest grossing of the year, according to Box Office Mojo) and next weekend isn't looking any better. With only Lawless and The Possession opening wide, we could be seeing an extended run of The Expendables 2 in 1st.
Top 10 Films for the Weekend of August 24-26, 2012
1) The Expendables 2 - $13,500,000
2) The Bourne Legacy - $9,281,160
3) ParaNorman - $8,545,883
4) The Campaign - $7,440,000
5) The Dark Knight Rises - $7,155,000
6) The Odd Life of Timothy Green - $7,125,000
7) Premium Rush - $6,300,000
8) 2016 Obama's America - $6,237,517
9) Hope Springs - $6,000,000
10) Hit and Run - $4,675,026 ($5,868,060 since 8/22)
(Photo © Lionsgate Films)