1. Entertainment

Vampire Academy Movies in the Works

By July 11, 2010

The vampire craze is showing no signs of slowing down, with Richelle Mead's bestselling Vampire Academy saga among the projects in the works featured bloodsuckers as the main characters. With the popularity of Mead's young adult series (the books have made their way onto the New York Times bestsellers list since 2007), it was really just a matter of time until someone snatched it up to use as fodder for a feature film franchise.

Producers Don Murphy (Transformers) and Michael Preger (Village of the Damned) are teaming up on the project. In a press release announcing Vampire Academy's march to the big screen, Murphy stated, "The joy of these books is that in the wake of Twilight they offer a chance to create a movie franchise that guys will want to see as well as girls. Michael and I plan on positioning the films as something both sexes will enjoy together, expanding the genre of sexy young vampires to a whole new audience. We are beginning discussions with studios immediately."

"We want the young male audience onboard with this project and we believe Mead has offered up a universe with which to accomplish that," added Preger.

The series follows Rose, a 17 year old half-vampire/half-human who fights evil vampires and gets caught up in a forbidden romance. Fans of the series had been campaigning for Mead's books to be made into feature films, creating their own movie trailers, stills, and even an online petition urging Hollywood to take notice of the series. When Preger Entertainment purchased the film rights to the series in June, Michael Preger acknowledged the fan support the series has generated: "This spontaneous viral event has exploded all across the internet. Finding an epic story like this for adaptation is one thing, but to then discover this mass market audience, that's growing exponentially, who are eagerly awaiting - even demanding - a film be produced, is something very compelling."

There's no word yet on when production is expected to begin. The sixth and final book of the series, Last Sacrifice, hits stores this December.

Also of Interest:

(Photo © Razorbill)

Join Hollywood Movies on Facebook / Follow Hollywood Movies on Twitter

Comments

September 10, 2010 at 11:48 am
(1) Brianna Boner says:

I really love the books. I dont know if your casting but i am an actor/model waiting for a role or job. I want to get my cureer going. Who should I talk to.

September 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm
(2) Leanna says:

I think with this cast it should be people that aren’t really all that well known. In my opinion, I think it’ll make the movie better if the actors are fresh and new to the big screen.

December 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(3) Karley says:

well i just got done reading last sacrafice and let me tell you it kept me on my toes but i loved it wish that they would make movies out of this series cause it would blow twilight out of the water. i love you as a writer i have not read anymore of your books but i was waiting till the last book came out now about to start another one of your series gosh i love your books

December 26, 2010 at 8:55 am
(4) Raisa says:

Saying “I love the VA series” seems kind of repetitive; but I guess repetition is needed to prove how true it is. It’s also kind of obvious to those that have read it that its popularity is underrated. I am a Twilight fan, but I can also say this much: Vampire Academy deserves equal or even higher appraisal.

It’s also good news that they decided to make a movie out of the VA series, since it keeps its world alive to its fans. And since it’s about to be on the big screen, I have a few ideal actors in mind:
Rose: Sophia Bush
Dimitri: Jensen Ackles
Lissa: Amanda Seyfried (her green eyes are well-matched)
Christian: Matt Cohen
Adrian: Chace Crawford/Toby Hemnigway

February 9, 2011 at 12:40 am
(5) Mercy says:

I have the Vampire Academy Series,its fantastic and i love it.While reading i imagined some characters with some faces

Rose: Ashley Michele Greene
Dimitri: Jackson Rathbone/Steven Strait
Lissa: Selena Gomez/Emma Watson/Vanessa Hudgens
Christian: Andrew Seeley/Steven Strait/Zac Efron
Adrian: Chace Crawford/Robert Pattison

February 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm
(6) makayla randol says:

Why don’t you use the people on the cover of the books?

March 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm
(7) Niamh says:

the books are amazing, i think that dimitri should be acted by Joe Manganiello because he would be perfect to play that role as he is tall dark and handsome :) rose should be someone 18 not someone who looks far to old to play rose.

March 14, 2011 at 11:02 am
(8) xb says:

i truelly love the series and i hope the movies are coming fast.

dimitri: ben barnes
adrian:hayden christensen
christian:gaspard ulliel
lissa:hayden pannettiere
rose: . . .

March 15, 2011 at 4:38 am
(9) wishes says:

i love the books!!!!!! so i guess i’ll like the movies too!!!!!!!!!
i really wish my dream cast is the main movie cast!!!!!!!:-

Odette yustman / Megan fox – Rose
Ben barnes – Dimitri
Amber heard – Lissa
Gaspard ulliel – Christian
Chace crawford – Adrian

March 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm
(10) hiroshi says:

i love ben barnes as dimitri and sophia bush as rose..

August 1, 2011 at 1:15 am
(11) tara says:

my favorite book series! i love the vampire acedemy series and hope and pray that if this gets made into a movie that they get dimitri, rose, and lissa characters right.