1. Entertainment

Karate Kid 2 in the Works

By June 16, 2010

Well, actually, The Karate Kid 2 already exists so this would the sequel to the remake of The Karate Kid, but not a remake of the original sequel. Karate Kid 2 Take 2? Whatever you label it, Columbia Pictures is in fact moving forward on a sequel to last weekend's surprise first place finisher, according to Deadline Hollywood. The Karate Kid (2010) with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan outperformed all advance estimates, so greenlighting a sequel was truly a no-brainer. Plus, at the film's premiere Jaden Smith guaranteed there would be a Karate Kid 2, and the kid's connected so it's worth listening to what he says about such matters.

There's no word yet on the story for the sequel or whether it'll be set in China. The 1986 The Karate Kid, Part II had Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) and Miyagi (Pat Morita) in Okinawa visiting Miyagi's dying father and making new enemies along the way.

More on The Karate Kid:
(Photo © Columbia Pictures)

Join Hollywood Movies on Facebook / Follow Hollywood Movies on Twitter

Comments

July 5, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(1) mel says:

i think that there should be a sequel, the love story is not very well developed in the first one, DOES dre’s mother have a thing for mr. han? what about harry? dre’s first friend in beijing? what happened to him? we never learn how dre was able to teach himself the cobra technique either. a lot of stuff was skimmed over or fast forwarded in the first movie that could be given closure in a sequel.

July 30, 2010 at 8:57 am
(2) Geri says:

I love the new karate kid movie with Jackie Chan. I think that Mr. Han and Dre mother should become closer in a relationship. And little Dre fung fu skills should be outstanding in the next film. The Will Smith will jump start
Jackie Chan career in the USA. So, Jackie learn the American language well.

August 7, 2010 at 4:29 am
(3) Ding says:

@mel, i saw harry during the tournament, the last part he’s seen is when his dre’s mum kisses dre, its hard to notice but yeah.

August 14, 2010 at 7:03 pm
(4) giri says:

i don’t wat they r telling……a sequel…??? Is that the continuation of the karate kid 2010?? Yes i guess. By da way i would love to see the karate kid (2010) 2, becoz it is indeed a great movie of which which we can talk about a lot in future….a sequel is a must..i think it should be a order to the producers n director by the people to make it’s sequel….if it is done and released then sure it wil be the blockbuster of that year..da story must be a little bit out of track of the first one but again it should be like da first one and must contain all that fight for honor thing of the jaden….

November 10, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(5) tonidae Viloria says:

i also want to know what happens 2 cheng ? in the 2nd movie well i cant wait 2 watch it :)

November 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm
(6) Dan says:

How is it that all you cretins can get by in life when your English leaves so much to be desired. I mean I’ve met five year olds who can write more fluently than you.
I think it’s a disgrace that you feel the need to write everything in this lang text jargon that really shows off how much attention you didn’t pay at school.
Before you start reviewing films go out and get yourselves an education.

December 13, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(7) Stiggs says:

@Dan, thankfully you saved me the effort of typing what was on my mind when I read some of these comments. The excuse for this text slang (on mobile phones) used to be that you are only allowed so many characters in one text which is no longer the case. Also most deals allow unlimited texts. There is certainly no excuse when typing on the internet especially when there are plug-ins with spell checkers on Firefox etc. Sometimes I feel the need to find the Enigma machine to decipher some of the rubbish I read on the internet!

March 10, 2011 at 1:05 am
(8) Barry says:

Ok I kinda agree with u on the english, however it easier and shorter to type wiht the slang. I am old enough to remember when we did not have computers. I can read the stuff just fine without even realizing it. Just because you are to old or lazy and want evrybody to comform to u oh whell. We are not going to y do u change and learn some new stuff and maybe you will not be left in the dust.

October 27, 2011 at 5:00 pm
(9) Mandi says:

I have heard from other web-sites that it will be filmed in the USA. Where Dra’s mum becomes very ill and has Mr. Hans take custody of Dra. Where now he decides to enter the world competition to help his mum out. Personally, I would love to see Cheng be in the sequel and Dra’s little girlfriend, but that is likely not to happen…

December 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm
(10) Rick says:

I think the girlfriend could come to the states and perhaps have Lindsey Stirling involved somehow. Dre is always looking for the edge and perhaps Dre could take her to see Lindsey play and show her another side of the Violin.

I just hope the movie doesn’t get all political with the rumored plot line. After having the first movie in China the home of Kung-Fu I don’t know where it could improve on the whole history thing.

I do how ever want to see Jaden encounter neighborhood bullys that have no idea he is as good as he is. I want to see Jaden smash there egos and strike back for the victims of bullies everywhere.