1. Entertainment

Gerard Butler Talks Phantom of the Opera and RocknRolla Sequels

By March 24, 2010

Gerard Butler went on the run with Jennifer Aniston in The Bounty Hunter and lent his voice to a humongous Viking in the 3D animated film How to Train Your Dragon (opening this Friday). He's keeping busy - last year Butler had Law Abiding Citizen, Gamer, and The Ugly Truth in theaters - but there are a few projects that currently aren't on his schedule that fans probably wish were in the works.

The sequel to The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, just opened onstage in London, and Butler was there to take it in. But that doesn't mean he's scoping it out in order to get ready to star in the big screen version. "I actually went to the opening night in London. I just happened to be there, by coincidence. I didn't plan it. It was very cool. It was a very interesting production," said Butler during the LA press conference for How to Train Your Dragon. "But, no, I don't think I'll be doing it. I doubt very much that they'll be asking me to do the sequel to The Phantom, but it was great fun to watch. It would be a long time away from making the movie."

And he also doesn't think a sequel to RocknRolla is happening anytime soon either. "I have no idea. I think that, after the success of Sherlock Holmes, Guy [Ritchie] is going to be pretty busy making parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 of them. It's a shame because I loved RocknRolla."

And just a random odd tidbit that has nothing to do with his future projects: Butler was asked if he has a personal favorite among the films he's done. His answer: "[How to Train Your Dragon] is one of them, definitely. And then, maybe 300. I'm very proud of Dear Frankie, a little movie that I did."

More on Gerard Butler:
(Photo © Richard Chavez)

Join Hollywood Movies on Facebook / Follow Hollywood Movies on Twitter

Comments

March 25, 2010 at 9:44 pm
(1) Jean says:

Everyone owes it to themselves to watch Dear Frankie. It is an excellent movie and Gerard Butler’s acting will never be more appealing except for perhaps in “Phantom”. I for one hope he might change his mind and do LND if and when it comes to the big screen. He owned that role no matter what the critics said and he seems a bit gun shy because of the critical reaction to it. The real critics are the people who buy the tickets.

March 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm
(2) Serlyndi says:

Jean – I couldn’t agree with you more! Dear Frankie is my all time favorite Gerard Butler movie. I doubt this will change. And I too hope he reconsiders playing the Phantom in Love Never Dies if it is made into a move. He was outstanding in this role.

March 27, 2010 at 11:57 pm
(3) Willa says:

I agree with the two previous comments. Phantom of the Opera made me Gerard Butler’s most avid fan and Dear Frankie just reinforced my belief that he is a great actor. I can see why he’s nervous about making another Phantom movie considering the way the “critics” reacted, but the audience loved it and would love a sequel too.

March 28, 2010 at 8:56 pm
(4) Jean says:

To Willa and Serlyndi, We are all obviously Phantom Fans and loved Gerry in the role, I ordered the CD of LND and find it enjoyable and can imagine Gerard and Emmy reprising the roles. If it happens it will be be down the road quite a bit, definately something to look forward to. Lets hope he reconsiders!!

April 3, 2010 at 9:54 pm
(5) Jessy says:

I do not know how he feels about the Phantom of the Opera or the crtic’s reaction, but Gerard Butler was absolutely magnificant as the Phantom. I myself loved his voiced, but his acting was so emotional. I just bought the Love Never Dies CD, and I can not find myself to fully appreciate it because it is not sung in “Gerry” style.=)
Another movie he was awesome in- Rocknrolla. Oh Guy Ritchie, I will hunt you down if you don’t go through with the trilogy.xD

October 5, 2010 at 10:38 am
(6) Martha Sammons says:

My sister and I watched Phantom again last night probably the 10th time. He was amazing and we talked a lot about the critics remarks. They must have seen a different version. The film gets better with each viewing I wondered how he and the film went unrewarded.

October 29, 2010 at 4:24 pm
(7) Rita says:

The film was criticized for one major factor: the character of the Phantom was vastly different from the stage version. I guess if you never saw the stage show or listened to the cast recording, there is no frame of reference. Yes, the production was overdone but that would have been tolerable if the lead character hadn’t been “reinvented” under the mistaken belief that younger audiences would not relate to the classic version.

December 22, 2010 at 6:57 am
(8) kelly gouma says:

HI, I AM KELLY FROM GREECE, AGED 43. I SAW THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA IN THE MOVIE IN THE BEGGINNING OF JANUARY 2005 AND IT BECAME MY FAVOURITE FILM EVER. I REALLY DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SEEN THIS MOVIE AT HOME SINCE THEN. I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT GERARD BUTLER IS THE BEST PHANTOM OF THE OPERA EVER. I GIVE HIM CREDITS ESPECIALLY FOR HIS RENDITION IN THE SONG “MUSIC OF THE NIGHT”, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL AND SENSUAL SONG OF SIR ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER. THE WAY HE SINGS THE MUSIC OF HE NIGHT, MUST BECOME A LESSON TO ALL THE OTHER ACTORS/SINGERS WHO PLAY AND WILL PLAY THE ROLE OF THE PHANTOM, BUT VERY HARDLY ANOTHER ARTIST WILL SING THIS SONG LIKE GERRY DID. I HOPE THAT SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE HE WILL ACCEPT TO PLAY THE SAME ROLE IN THE SEQUEL. I AM SURE THAT HE WILL MAKE THE SONGS OF THE SEQUEL “TAKE WINGS” ESPECIALLY “TILL I HEAR YOU SING” AND “BEAUTY UNDERNEATH”

SO, “TILL I HEAR YOU SING ONCE MORE” GERARD, “ANGEL OF MUSIC”…….

April 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm
(9) Diana says:

OMG i am 25 and didnt even know for the longest that gerard was the phantom all i knew was that i loved the movie and i loved him maybe i didnt know cuz i just never made it to the credits when they started to come up i restarted the movie i watched it with captions till i learned every word of it and then sang it for days on end it was also my daughters favorite movie when she was 2 maybe cuz i watched it so much idk. i would be so torn if gerard didnt play the phantom if they make a sequel on film i dont think it would be the same god i love his voice and his eyes i routed for the phantom the whole movie wish i would have seen the musical on the stage but he did such a good job i guess i didnt miss much except the experience of being at the opera

June 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm
(10) Janet says:

I was studying voice and several instruments in my younger years, but a health problem caused me to give up singing. I had never had the occasion to see or read The Phantom of the Opera until quite recently. I fell in love with it, the music and the story, and purchased the DVD and the book. I adore Gerard and his voice and watch every day, at least a part of it, and I cannot imagine anyone but him playing the part. I am purchasing several more copies of the DVD, one for a gift and another for me when my present one wears out. As for his appearance, even made up as the phantom he is still very attractive. I find myself hearing his voice singing his magnificent songs, even when I am otherwise occupied. BRAVO and please consider taking the part in any sequels.

June 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm
(11) Desiree says:

grrrr… I think the only reason why he says he doesn’t think he’ll do it is because he doesn’t think they’re gonna ask him… did anyone catch onto that part. Anyways, Webber already said that he wants to see him do it again and that they’re most likely going to ask him. “Phantom of the Opera” was what made Butler famous

July 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm
(12) CZR says:

No sequel to RocknRolla anytime soon?! BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(13) Brandy Patton says:

He had better be in the sequel!!!! No one can play the Phantom like him! Hes the best male singer I know. Well, right next to Charles Dance. But still.

April 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm
(14) Dozy C. says:

Mr. Butler still has it.

June 16, 2012 at 11:02 am
(15) Tori says:

He has to do it! THe Phantom won’t be the same with him!!!!!